Art can be in many forms. While everything is becoming digital in today’s world, so has art. Just like how music has been taken to a new dimension with electronic and digital music, art has also been looked at from a whole new dimension.
Digital art helps artists take their creative streak a little more forward by helping them materialize the ideas that they could not bring forward using traditional art.
Photos could previously only be captured with cameras, but today designing photos has become simple with the help of various software.
A couple of years back people might have had second thoughts about taking up art as their career even if they were very passionate about it but today art has an ocean of opportunities. Graphic designing is just one of the avenues.
Importance of digital art and designing photos:
- Graphic designing has become very important in today’s world. Be it a movie poster or a company’s logo, their ability to attract an audience depends to a large extent on how pleasing and attention grabbing their graphic design is.
- There are many factors which influence the design like colors, fonts, background, etc. This is why there are big graphic designing teams behind coming up with a logo for a company.
- Many times logos also have hidden details in them. For example, the Baskin Robbins logo has a 31 hidden in their logo signifying new ice cream flavors for each day of the month.
- Designing photos and images that are thoughtful and eye-catching logos will give companies that extra edge over their competitors. A good logo reveals even the nature of the product to the potential customers.
Types of Digital art:
There are many types of digital art, with more coming up each year with the developing technology.
- The first one is Digital Photography. Digital photography is used to capture shots which cannot be captured in the traditional camera. The picture is first captured and then edited by the photographer to get the perfect shot. The editing is like adding salt to a dish. It brings out all the necessary flavors.
- So in a way the picture is designed. There are various apps and softwares which photographers use for their editing purposes. The editing is sometimes so flawless that we can hardly recognize whether the image is naturally captured or edited.
- The next one is photo painting. It is like creating a replica of a real photo using digital art. This is basically done to make a photo look like a painting. The artist may use various softwares to get the desired output.
- The next one is algorithmic or fractal art. This kind of art is made using mathematics and geometry. This art can only be made using a computer and not manually. It can consist of various patterns derived using calculations and algorithms. It can be enhanced using the artist’s creativity.
- The next one is dynamic painting. This form of art is exactly like the traditional manually done paintings except that it is done on a computer.
- The next one is Computer generated graphics. In this type of art, 2D and 3D images are generated. It is used to convert traditional art into digital art. It is most commonly used in television shows and movies to generate animation or graphics. They are commonly known as computer generated imagery or CGI.
- The next one is vector images. This type of images are made using geometric shapes like points, lines, curves and Polygons. The colours, shadows, transparency, groups, etc can be changed to produce different effects.
Despite all these, finally it is the artist’s vision that is translated into the final output. So a piece of art is only as good as its artist.