Physiotherapy Equipment Industry Overview
The global physiotherapy equipment market size is expected to reach USD 33.5 billion by 2030, registering a CAGR of 6.69% from 2022 to 2030, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. The growing prevalence of neurological, musculoskeletal, and spinal cord disorders, early disease diagnosis, and awareness about physiotherapy are some of the factors driving the market growth. The rising incidences of sports injuries, cerebrovascular diseases, and degenerative joint disorders are also contributing to the market growth. According to the National Safety Council (NSC), biking was responsible for 426,000 injuries in 2020, the most of any sport or recreational activity. With roughly 378,000 injuries, (with or without equipment) exercise ranked second, followed by ATV, minibike, and moped use (with 230,000 injuries) and scooter, hoverboard, and skateboard use (with 218,000 injuries) in the U.S.
Physiotherapy Equipment Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global physiotherapy equipment market based on application, type, demographics, end use, and region:
Based on the Application Insights, the market is segmented into Neurology, Musculoskeletal, Pediatrics, Cardiovascular & Pulmonary, Others.
- The musculoskeletal segment with 60.3% in 2021 held the maximum portion of the market. This is primarily due to the increasing cases of musculoskeletal disorders. According to the WHO, around 1.71 billion people worldwide suffer from musculoskeletal disorders.
- The cardiovascular and pulmonary segment is expected to witness substantial growth over the forecast period due to the rising adoption of physical therapy services in developing nations such as China, India, Brazil, etc.
- The premature death rate due to CVD in high-income countries is 4% in comparison with 42% in low-income countries. Physical therapies are beneficial for patients with pulmonary fibrosis, heart valve replacement, post-coronary bypass surgery, and coronary stent placement.
- The incidence of cardiovascular and pulmonary diseases has increased considerably, resulting in a major cost burden in most countries worldwide. CVDs are the leading cause of death worldwide.
Based on the Type Insights, the market is segmented into Hydrotherapy, Cryotherapy, Continuous Passive Motion (CPM), Ultrasound, Electric Stimulation, Heat Therapy, Therapeutic Exercise, Others.
- The ultrasound segment dominated the physiotherapy equipment market with a share of 41.7% in 2021 and is expected to register a high CAGR during the forecast period. Ultrasound therapy speeds up the healing process by reducing swelling and edema. The regulatory approval and launch of innovative products by manufacturers is contributing to the segment growth.
- The thermoelectric stimulation segment accounted for the second-largest market share in 2021. Electrical stimulation therapy is mainly used for the rehabilitation of neurological disorders such as stroke, cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, and Parkinson’s disease.
- Hydrotherapy involves the use of mechanical and thermal healing properties of water for the treatment of disorders such as muscle swelling, stress, depression, and arthritis. Currently, available techniques under hydrotherapy are showers & baths, sitz baths, foot baths, steam inhalation, cold mitten friction rub, alternating cold & hot compresses, body wraps, salt glow, and wet sheet pack.
Based on the Demographics Insights, the market is segmented into Geriatric Population, Non-geriatric Population.
- The non-geriatric patient population accounted for a major portion of the market in 2021. An increase in hospital stays and visits is anticipated to positively influence the segment growth over the forecast period.
- Non-geriatric patients requiring hospital care majorly include adults with spinal cord and domestic or accidental injuries due to motor or workplace mishaps. According to WHO, accidents are the largest contributor to spinal cord injury cases worldwide.
Based on the End-use Insights, the market is segmented into Hospitals & Clinics, Rehabilitation Centers, Others.
- The hospitals & clinics segment held the largest market share pertaining to a large patient pool and implementation of various programs by hospitals. Additionally, due to the high cost of physiotherapy instruments, the majority of patients choose to have the treatments performed in multispecialty hospitals or specialized clinics.
- Hospitals and clinics are expanding their medical facilities to specialized units that focus on physical therapy or another alternative treatment regimen for patients post-trauma or surgery.
- The others segment is expected to register the fastest growth in the forecast period. Other end-users include community centers, sports centers, convalescent homes, and schools & sports academies. Changing demographics globally, the rising trend of an active lifestyle, and the uptake of sports as a profession by individuals are expected to propel the market growth during the forecast period.
Physiotherapy Equipment Regional Outlook
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
Key Companies Profile & Market Share Insights
The market is witnessing numerous acquisitions and collaborations between key players to strengthen their presence. For instance, In February 2019, DJO Global, Inc. was acquired by Colfax for USD 3.15 billion.
Some prominent players in the global physiotherapy equipment market include
- EMS Physio Ltd.
- Dynatronics Corporation
- Performance Health
- Storz Medical AG
- Zimmer MedizinSysteme GmbH
- ITO Co., Ltd.
- Enraf-Nonius B.V.
- Whitehall Manufacturing
Order a free sample PDF of the Physiotherapy Equipment Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519