Leather Chemicals Industry Overview
The global leather chemicals market size is expected to reach USD 13.2 billion by 2030, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. The market is expected to expand at a CAGR of 6.6% over the forecast period. The demand is attributed to the increase in demand for premium products and increasing consumption of the product from end-use industries such as automotive, apparel, and footwear. Demand for the product is predicted to rise in a wide range of applications, including jackets, wallets, upholstery, shoes, and belts, due to changing consumer lifestyles and increased disposable income. Leather is used in Personal Protection Equipment (PPE), such as shoes and gloves, and plays an important part in the construction industry.
Leather Chemicals Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global leather chemicals market report on the basis of product, process, application, and region:
Based on the Product Insights, the market is segmented into biocides, surfactants, chromium sulfate, polyurethane resins, sodium bicarbonate and others
- The polyurethane resins product segment dominated the market for leather chemicals and accounted for revenue share of 22.9% in 2021. They're also utilized to make organic solvent-free finish formulations, as well as binders, basecoats, and topcoats. Hybrid acrylic polyurethane polymers have made significant contributions to solvent-free finish formulations.
- The surfactants segment is expected to witness a CAGR of 7.0% over the forecast period. The demand is attributed to increase in its utilization as surface-active agents in the leather-making process.
- The Chromium Sulfate segment was valued at USD 818.0 million in terms of revenue in 2021. The demand is attributed to its commonly utilization as tanning agent in leather industry, which is anticipated to drive the demand for the product.
- The major purpose of tanning chemicals like these is to stabilize leather by crosslinking collagen fibres.
Based on the Process Insights, the market is segmented into tanning & dyeing, beamhouse and finishing chemicals
- The tanning and dyeing process segment accounted for a revenue share of more than 48.0% in 2021. It is anticipated to witness a CAGR of 6.7% over the forecast period owing to its various operations such as pickling, degreasing, tanning, swimming, shaving, retanning, dyeing, fatliquoring, and drying among others.
- The beamhouse segment is anticipated to witness the second-largest CAGR of 6.6% over the forecast period. The growth is anticipated to be driven by its application ranging from preparation of hides and skins to preservation.
- Finishing process refers to stages after the drying process. It includes mechanical finishing operations and coatings. Leather can be finished in various ways through buffing, spray-coated, treatment with pigment, resins, dyes, or lacquered with urethane. Finishing coats include the base, intermediate, and topcoats. Main components and additives used in this process include surfactants and polyurethane resins.
- Increasing demand for premium products along with growing inclination of manufacturers toward aesthetic parameters is likely to drive the demand for leather chemicals over the forecast period.
Based on the Application Insights, the market is segmented into footwear, upholstery, leather goods and garments
- The footwear application segment accounted for revenue share of more than 49.9% in 2021. The demand is attributed to increase in demand for leather used for manufacturing footwear, which, in turn, is driving demand for the product in footwear industry.
- Basic components of footwear include leather, rubber, plastic, textile, and metal among others. It is used in various application such as leather finishing, tanning, and dyeing among others. These chemicals are also used for strengthening the crust and filling.
- The upholstery segment is expected to register the second-highest CAGR of 6.5% in the market for leather chemicals over the forecast period. The growth is anticipated to extensive coating applications.
- One of the major factors contributing to the growth of upholstery is increased use of soft leather in automotive and furniture industry. Upholstery includes leather for automotive and furniture sectors.
- Wallets, belts, and other accessories are examples of leather items. In comparison to other end-use segments, the amount of leather required for such products is quite low. As a result, the leather goods segment's demand for the product is predicted to expand at a moderate rate.
- Over the forecast period, rising consumer inclination toward product aesthetics, combined with rising demand for luxury leather products, is expected to increase demand for the product in leather goods.
Leather Chemicals Regional Outlook
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
Key Companies Profile & Market Share Insights
The market for leather chemicals is highly competitive with the big international brands focusing on the development of long-term relationships with the end-users. With the further increase in the footwear, upholstery, and garments sector, the competition is anticipated to increase in the coming years.
Some of the prominent players in the leather chemicals market include:
- Stahl International B.V
- Lanxess AG
- Bayer AG
- Elementis plc
- Chemtan Company Inc.
- Lawrence Industries Limited
Order a free sample PDF of the Leather Chemicals Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519