Glycomics Industry Overview
The global glycomics/glycobiology market size is expected to reach USD 2.4 billion by 2026 registering a CAGR of 14.7%, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. Rising focus on glycomics and proteomics research has led to the growth of this market. Significant investments in this field have also enabled academic researchers to develop new tools. Thus, the field of glycoscience is growing, which is a high impact rendering driver for the market. Glycans are essential in biological processes and research on them helps in understanding the biology more comprehensively, without specializing in glycobiology. According to 2018 BDO Biotech Briefing, the average R&D expenditure of the mid-sized biotech companies increased around 14% from 2016 to 2017.
Glycomics Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global glycomics/glycobiology market on the basis of product, application, end use, and region:
Based on the Product Insights, the market is segmented into Enzymes, Kits, Reagents, Instruments.
- In 2018, instruments held the largest market share owing to frequent usage in drug discovery and diagnostic testing. In addition, repetitive purchase of reagents and kits is another major factor expected to boost segment growth. Enzymes are estimated to account for a considerable market share in near future due to rising research in cancer therapeutics and diagnosis.
- Glycomics uses various research approaches to quantify or define glycome of a tissue, cell, or organism. Alteration such as localization or in the activity of enzymes involved in glycan biosynthesis ultimately results in changing of the final glycan structure.
- A large number of research studies have been conducted to commercialize glycoside inhibitors that are known to alter N-linked glycans of cancer cells and viruses. Therapeutic use of these enzymes include direct antiviral, antibacterial, and anti-cancer activities.
- Various research studies indicate that epigenetic regulation of glycans in cancer cells results in formation of new glycan structures. These structures are one of the mechanisms used by cancerous cells to evade immune response in a host.
Based on the Application Insights, the market is segmented into Drug Discovery & Development, Diagnostics, Others.
- The drug discovery and development accounted for the largest market share in 2018. This is primarily owing to extensive R&D and increased government funding for research related to glycomics and proteomics.
- The other applications segment is anticipated to witness the highest CAGR over the forecast period due to rising clinical trials and R&D expenses incurred by key companies for research. For instance, R&D expenditure of Merck accounted for USD 2.4 billion in 2017.
- Research in glycome informatics, which helps in identification and analysis of drug targets and biomarkers, is increasing due to wide application of glycan structure analysis in bioinformatics. Glycomics involves study of functions and structures of glycans in biological systems.
- Combining glycomics and genomics helps in diagnosis of congenital disorders of glycosylation including CCDC115-CDG, ATP6AP1-CDG, PGM1-CDG, TMEM199-CDG, and MAN1B1-CDG.
Based on the End Use Insights, the market is segmented into Academic & Research Institutes, Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology Companies, CROs.
- The academic and research institutes accounted for the largest revenue share in 2018 due to increased R&D investments. Collaborations between major organizations and research institutes are further supporting the segment expansion.
- The pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies segment is anticipated to register the fastest CAGR during the forecast period owing to increasing R&D investments in drug discovery and development and in other glycobiology based studies.
- Increasing adoption of glycan structure data analysis by research centers also contributes to the segment growth. Preference for glycomics for training and educational purposes is another factor contributing to the segment growth.
Glycomics Regional Outlook
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
Key Companies Profile & Market Share Insights
New product launches, mergers and acquisitions, partnerships, and collaborations are the key strategies undertaken by these companies for sustainable growth. For instance, in February 2018, Merck KGaA invested 40 million Euros to enhance their distribution and manufacturing services in the Asian region.
Some prominent players in the global glycomics market include
- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
- Merck KGaA
- Agilent Technologies
- New England Biolabs
- Shimadzu Corporation
- Takara Bio, Inc.
Order a free sample PDF of the Glycomics Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519